You are here

Clifton Paisley Collection

Permalink: https://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/islandora/object/fsu:cliftonpaisleycoll

This collection includes materials collected and created during the writing of Clifton Paisley's book, From Cotton to Quail.

This digital collection holds a majority of the materials in the collection. For more information, please see the collection's finding aid.

Pages

A.F. Rich in his orchard
A.F. Rich in his orchard
A.F. (Pete) Rich, a part-time cattleman, has been experimenting with peach-growing and (as seen here in 1968) nectarines as cash crops on Richwood Farms., Description from caption attached to photograph
Abandoned tenant house, Chaires
Abandoned tenant house, Chaires
Tenant houses like this abandoned one near Chaires Crossroad once dotted the rural landscape. Owners of game plantations eventually became landlords of 85% of the Black tenants, Description from caption attached to photograph and photograph index included with collection
Antebellum plantation house, Old Bainbridge Road, Tallahassee
Antebellum plantation house, Old Bainbridge Road, Tallahassee
The antebellum plantation house on Old Bainbridge Road was owned at the time of the photograph by Justice Millard Caldwell of the Florida Supreme Court., Description from photograph index included with collection
Barn and horses
Barn and horses
Pastures and barn on farm of Jacksonville automobile dealer E. Robert Langley at Centerville and Roberts Roads., Description from caption attached to photograph and photograph index included with collection
Beef cows and pasture
Beef cows and pasture
This broad meadow was part of the farm of Rudolph Herold which he successfully operated around the turn of the century and house in the distance was the one he built about 1910. House and land were at the time of the photograph part of the estate of Walter E. Edge, Jr., near Miccosukee, whose black Angus cattle are shown grazing., Description from caption attached to photograph and photograph index included with collection||Index has a discrepancy on source of photograph. Index says it was taken by Clifton Paisley in April 1967; the description attached to the photograph says it is courtesy of the USDA Soil Conservation Service c. 1958.
Black farmer plowing field
Black farmer plowing field
For half a century after the Civil War, a Black farmer plowing behind a lone ox was a frequent sight in Leon County fields. Some ox-plows were still used after World War II, as on this farm south of Miccosukee. Courtesy Office of Leon County Agent Lloyd Rhoden., Description from caption attached to photograph and photograph index included with collection
Black farmers driving an ox cart
Black farmers driving an ox cart
Photographed from the book Florida, The Land of Enchantment by Nevin O. Winters (The Page Co., 1918). The one-ox cart was the principle means of transportation on market day, and the one-ox plough was the typical means for breaking land, among Leon County/Black tenant farmers until 1920., Description from photograph index included with collection
Blakely plantation house and J.A. Cromartie
Blakely plantation house and J.A. Cromartie
Blakely, plantation house built by Miles Blake, who came to Leon County in the 1820s from North Carolina. It's a rare plantation in that it has remained in the hands of the same family for about 140 years. The house and several hundred acres surrounding are in the hands at the time of the photograph of J.A. Cromartie, a great-grandson of Miles Blake. The house was unoccupied at the time of the photograph and Cromartie, shown on the steps, lived in a nearby house., Description from photograph index included with collection
Blakely plantation house and J.A. Cromartie
Blakely plantation house and J.A. Cromartie
Blakely, plantation house built by Miles Blake, who came to Leon County in the 1820s from North Carolina. It's a rare plantation in that it has remained in the hands of the same family for about 140 years. The house and several hundred acres surrounding are in the hands at the time of the photograph of J.A. Cromartie, a great-grandson of Miles Blake. The house was unoccupied at the time of the photograph and Cromartie, shown on the steps, lived in a nearby house., Description from photograph index included with collection
Bradford and Eppes Family Cemetery
Bradford and Eppes Family Cemetery
Cemetery located at Pine Hill Plantation, Thomasville Road. This was the plantation of Edward Bradford., Description from photograph index included with collection
Bradford and Eppes Family Cemetery
Bradford and Eppes Family Cemetery
Cemetery located at Pine Hill Plantation, Thomasville Road. This was the plantation of Edward Bradford., Description from photograph index included with collection
Building at the end of dirt road
Building at the end of dirt road
Building, possible a barn or house, at the end of a dirt road with overgrown grasses along the road. Unknown location though probably in North Florida.
Charles Freeland installing fencing
Charles Freeland installing fencing
Charles Freeland is a partner in one of Leon county's principal dairy enterprises. In April 1968, he was busy installing a feed center at the foot of a bank of silos., Description from caption attached to photograph
Cooper House and herd
Cooper House and herd
Photo courtesy of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Josie White and her daughter, Mrs. J.C. Hartsfield who live in the old Cooper House as of the time of this reproduction., Description from photograph index included with collection
Corn patch, Chemonie Plantation
Corn patch, Chemonie Plantation
A small patch of corn growing on Chemonie Plantation. Chemonie and Ring Oak plantations, holdings of David S. Ingalls and his wife, have hundreds of patches of corn in one- and two-acre plots, a distribution desirable for attracting birds., Description from photograph index included with collection
Corn patch, Chemonie Plantation
Corn patch, Chemonie Plantation
A small patch of corn growing on Chemonie Plantation. Chemonie and Ring Oak plantations, holdings of David S. Ingalls and his wife, have hundreds of patches of corn in one- and two-acre plots, a distribution desirable for attracting birds., Description from photograph index included with collection
Cornelius Gardner
Cornelius Gardner
Cornelius Gardner on porch of his house on land passed down from his father, Shack Gardner on Chaires Crossroad., Description from photograph index included with collection
Cows leaving the milking shed, Velda Farms
Cows leaving the milking shed, Velda Farms
Milking shed in background was that of Velda Dairy, Leon County's largest farming operation. It was later used by Foster Dairy in 1967 and then Willis Dairy. At the time of the photograph, Foster was in the process of moving his herd of 1200 cows to Gadsden County, where he has built a new automated milking shed on 2000 acres of land., Description from caption attached to photograph and photograph index included with collection
Drainage ditch, south of Orange Avenue, at trestle of the St. Marks line of Seaboard Railroad
Drainage ditch, south of Orange Avenue, at trestle of the St. Marks line of Seaboard Railroad
The drainage ditch follows the approximate route of "Scott's Ditch" or "Scott's Millrace," described on old deed records. It is speculated that just upstream from this rail crossing was where Colonel George W. Scott had his 16-foot water wheel which operated corn- and sugar cane-grinding machinery, cotton gins and bone crusher., Description from photograph index included with collection
Driver and hunting wagon, Horseshoe Plantation
Driver and hunting wagon, Horseshoe Plantation
Driver and hunting wagon, ready for field trials, Horseshoe Plantation. Picture courtesy William W. Goode, plantation manager, Description from photograph index included with collection

Pages